Sunday, April 03, 2005

Mission RK

Just read RK Narayan's autobiography. Earlier I thought he was great, but now I think he is the greatest. The man doesn't have different dimensions, nor does he have a persona you woill stand in awe of. But to me he is what a human being should most importantly be....honest. I could very well picture myself(like him), falling in love with every second girl that passes by and think a smile would be her flirting with him(if you are reading this I'm sure you would have remembered something real funny). Anyways Narayan didn't write because he thought he had alot to offer to society(which I do think in my wildest dreams), nor did he write because it was his ultimate passion. I think he would have rather continued dreaming all his life and smoked on a joint of cigarettes. But he wrote siply because that was the only way he knew how to earn a living. He was a failure as a govt. official, and a failure as a student. He failed in English for God's sake in the BA entrance.
Anyway this is sounding more like a biography(something I'm not authorised to do). My purpose of writing this is to just declare that I do have a new dream added to my evergrowing collection. To research Narayan's life, to meet his daughter(learn more about the man). Not because I want to write something but because I definitely feel I am missing out on something with his death and that I could only try and fill this void if I get into his skin.
My mind goes to "The English Teacher", a semi-autobiographical account....I shared Narayan's sorrow...and now I feel indebted to him. Just to evoke self pity, I have to have more and I have to find a new source.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home