Thursday, May 12, 2005

Emotionally Mugged (Was I?)

Let me tell anyone who reads this blog that I'm just not myself. I'm a guy who thinks a billion times raised to the power of an unimaginable amount before I spen more than 10 bucks on any item. Be it an auto ride,eating out,watching a movie,or spending on my clothes, money has always been of prime concern (the only exceptions being books and music). I would never entertain any kind of beggars who come in all shapes and sizes of varied ages and sexes. But something happened today Im still in a state of shock.
I was walking down as usual after dinner and after another routine lousy day in office, when I was stopped by this dude accompanied by his wife and small kid. Speaking in broken Hindi, he asked me if I knew Hindi and told me he was from Aurangabad and had come for a Tirupathi visit via Bangalore. Adding the story of how his father got missed in the train and how he had to now go back home. The long and short the guy was now begging for cash to go back home. Of all the people and in my 11 years in Mumbai I never spoke in Marathi but I see myself doing so with him. Very soon I further surprise myself by asking him how much he wants. He gives me the precise figure of 230 bucks. My hands start to hesitate, because I just don't want to entertain this chap but I still find my hands reaching for the pocket and looking for 230 bucks. 400 rupees just withdrawn from the ATM and now I was going to shell out more than half to people I'm almost sure are trying to dupe me. What was over me I do not know.
To assure me he offers to send the money to any address that I state. In the end I just resign myself to my urge for charity which was simply too strong at that time. I just couldnt stop myself I had to. I removed 230 bucks, and as if in an assurance to myself I tell him "See if you are trying to fool me, you are not doing a good job of it. Ive never removed 2 bucks im mylife as alms and this is 230 bucks....half a days salary. I value it simply because I earnt it. You may squander it now but somehow I have to give it to you. You have a kid and so take care."

IM NUTS BUT WHAT THE HELL SOMEHOW THINGS SEEMED LIKE I WAS THE MAN FOR THEM. SOMEONE WHO COULD SPEAK MARATHI,HELP THEM OUT. I DONNO WHERE THEY ARE NOW AND IF ANY OTHER SANE(I THINK IM SANE) PERSON IS SHELLING OUT 230 BUCKS IN SYMPATHY. IT WASNT BECAUSE I FELT SYMPATHY, IT WAS SOMETHING MORE THAN THAT. I HAD TO....I SIMPLY COUDNT DO WITHOUT.I JUST HOPE THE 230 BUCKS ATLEAST HELPED THE KID HAVE A DECENT MEAL AND IN THE WAY IF THE GUY WHO IS THE ONLY EXCEPTION IN MY TRACK RECORD OF BEING THE STINGIEST MISER GETS A BOTTLE OF BOOZE, IT DOESNT BOTHER ME.I CAN NOW SLEEP OVER IT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home